Sunday 6 April 2014

Winter Wonderland - Member Challenge Part III

The last but certainly not the least of our amazing entries!
Thank you Fabricspot again, for sponsoring this challenge.  Check out their great lines of fabric and patterns.  






Snowfall
by Leanne Chahley
My quilt  is about 49" square. She is made from Essex Linen, Kona Cottons and Oakshott cottons which have a white warp thread making them muted.  The design is my own and is part of a series of quilts that I have been making which I call my cycles series.


by Geesje Baron
I free form cut and raw edged applied shapes of various elements to a scrap raw edge pieced background. I used a variety of white and off whites in a wide assortment of fabrics. Embellished with lace and beads. A frosted window pane was the inspiration of this quilt using my own photo.

What I Love About Winter
by Lynne McCulloch
It is based upon a drawing of mine that I created after a wintry drive in the area near Burlington.  The time is late afternoon and the view is looking along the shores of a small creek with a forested area in the background.  The medium with which I started is watercolour, enhanced by watercolour chalks, Angelina fibres and thread painting.  


by Valerie Tucker
Photo is of a snow ghost at the top of the Snow Ghost Chair at Big White, Kelowna, BC, where I spend winters downhill skiing.
Made from one of my photos printed on canvas by London Drugs.

Snowmania
by Stephanie Alcock

 I hand-cut paper stencils, laid them on marbled dark blue/black fabric, then sprayed over with fabric paint. The snowflakes are quilted with silver metallic thread, and there are scrolls/spirals free-motion quilted over the rest of the quilt. The snowflakes are embellished with a thin wash of opalescent, fine-glitter paint and pearl droplets.




Snow Day
by Cynthia Frenette
The design is my own, made of improvisation pieced scrappy circles with fused appliqué retro style snowflakes attached, and topped with hand stitching and  loads of sequins and sparkle, like glittery snow. 


Glacier Nights
by Deyanne Davies
The design for the quilt is from a "Sew Together" Pattern by Betty Oswell, Kamloops B.C.
It was a fun challenge to machine quilt something different in each of the design areas.  The McKenna Ryan fabric and beads give the feeling of a crisp, sparkling magical winter's night.



by Ruth Quinn
Copyright information-this is a piece originally made by Susan Brubaker Knapp but she has given me  permission to make my own copy. I love snowflakes.  Each one is so individualistic and unique that it amazes me.  It is thread sketched and bound with a zigzag stitch around the edges. 


by Carol Bowie
I live in Halfmoon Bay, BC on the west coast.  This 5.75" x
9.5" wall quilt is an original design from a photo taken by Michael Snook in

January 2014.  A female Annas hummingbird, wintering over.  She is puffed up
and tucked amidst bare branches to keep warm.  Painted background, couched
fabric & yarn on background, free motion stitched hummingbird (with a black
bead eye)


Winter Sunrise On The Lake
by Maggie Butterfield Dickinson
This winter landscape image, enlarged from one of my photographs, was dye painted on PFD fabric, cured and rinsed, sandwiched and thread painted with an assortment of cotton and polyester threads. I love the splashes of colour on a such a grey and cold winter morning. I learned this technique from Hollis Chatelain.










3 comments:

  1. Thank you everyone who shared these 'winter' pieces. What I enjoyed most was the individual nature of each one. Such a treat to see them all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful and imaginative quilts, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are all so beautiful - each in their own way! What talent!!

    ReplyDelete